Wednesday 24 September 2014

Sisterhood of the World

My lovely friend Lucy over at Mrs Bishops Bakes and Banter tagged me in a bloggy question swap this morning. I was inspired by her questions, so thought I'd jump right in and answer them straight away.

1. What is your signature bake?

Well, this has changed recently, as has all of my baking and cooking, due to my diagnosis with Coeliac disease, four months ago. I am still really finding my feet with Gluten Free baking and there have certainly been some disasters, but I would say that there has been one resounding post GF success: Nigella's Flourless Chocolate and Lime cake with Margerita Cream. Oh my goodness, it is to die for! I think I have made it four times since my diagnosis and it is quite firmly my 'go to' cake for impressing people! It's so incredibly easy to make, and any leftover cream makes amazing ice cream, just shoved in the freezer.

2. If you had to choose only one film to watch for the rest of time, and no others, what would you choose?

My favourite film of all time: Forrest Gump. I love Tom Hanks in anything he's been in, but this is my favourite. I just think it's so clever the way they weaved in so much history.


3. What is your favourite home cooked dinner, and why?

Hands down, a good old roast dinner, with all the trimmings. I very rarely order a roast dinner when eating out, because I don't want to be disappointed. If I do say so myself, I make a mean roast dinner!

4. Do you have a favourite artist or piece of artwork?

Well, this a difficult one. I'm not really 'in to' art. That's not to say I don't appreciate it, I do, but I just like a nice picture on the wall. I don't remember who painted what, or spend time analysing a piece. I am more drawn to certain subjects or styles of art though, of course. I generally like papercut styles, art relating to the sea, or cows. I know, the cow thing is random, but I think they are beautiful looking creatures, with a really comical look about them. I'd just like to reassure you though, that I do not have a single picture of a cow in my house. I have often thought of having one large cow canvas in our kitchen, but I'm not some crazy lady that collects everything to do with cows!!

Oh, I've lied, there is one ... This photograph from our wedding weekend. I love it.

Slightly off topic, but while I was looking for that photograph, I found another from that day that I also love, and have to show you.

We had such a laugh with these pictures. This isn't our actual wedding day. I had a proper dress for the real day, but this was the day we signed the papers. I really must write a post about our wedding sometime.

5. What's your tipple of choice?

I love a nice glass of prosecco and wine in general. Cocktails wise, I can't resist a good mojito. Just last week, I went to a wine tasting event and discovered this little gem. It is delicious. If you're a Bedford resident, I implore you to head over to The Blue Glass in St Cuthberts Street and procure yourself a bottle. While you are there, talk to John, who is lovely and will help you find your perfect tipple.

6. Do you collect anything?

Not in terms of a proper 'collection', no. I always wanted to collect things as a child. My problem was, and still is, I generally don't maintain interest in one thing long enough to ever create a collection! My husband would tell you that I collect hobbies, and I have to agree. I am always starting something new, but never really stick at anything with quite the level of enthusiasm I had at the beginning. I think it's probably the learning and equipment gathering at the beginning that I enjoy, before moving on to the next thing!

7. What are you reading at the moment?

Following on from the last question, you won't be surprised to know that I generally have a number of books on the go at any one time. I don't get much time for reading these days, but the books I am currently part way through are:

Toast

Wheat Belly

Get Your Shit Together

As well as an undefined number of craft and cookery books that are in permanent rotation on our coffee table.

8. Do you have a dream job? Or are you lucky enough to already do your dream job?

I've had the same dream job for most of my adult life. It changes slightly over time, depending on my circumstances, but is always along the lines of running some kind of small holding, somewhere picturesque, with a lovely cafe, craft workshops, little shop, petting zoo (where we might rescue the odd abandoned waif or stray), beautiful guest accommodation and maybe a camping field. It may take retirement or a lottery win to make this happen, but hopefully I'll get there someday.

9. What is your favourite item of clothing in your current wardrobe and why?

I'm having something of an image crisis at the moment, so I'm not especially keen on anything in my current wardrobe (taking that to mean clothes that fit!) except my blue DM wedge boots, which are the most comfortable shoes I have ever owned. I love my green Coco dress, but I've gained weight since making it, so I'm not really wearing it at the moment.

10. Who is your most embarrassing celebrity crush? (Let's face it girls, we're never too old for a crush!)

I have had a crush on Jon Bon Jovi since I was about 14. If ever I met him in real life it would probably be a huge let down. He's probably really short or something. And if he wasn't wearing leather trousers, I'd be really disappointed.

I don't think you could call this a crush exactly, but I have some weird kind of love for John Barrowman, especially as Captain Jack!

I do love a bit of Nick Knowles too. He's just the right mix of sensitive, caring, a bit craggy looking and blokey. Who doesn't love the 'rough guy in a designer suit' look?

Are they embarrassing enough? Because if you need embarrassing, I've got one last one for you. Mr Bloom! If you haven't got pre-school kids, you probably don't know who I'm talking about, but I know I'm not the only mum with a thing for Mr Bloom (see the Guardian's discussion on the subject, here). It's got to be the character though. The real life actor that plays him is probably a perfectly lovely man, but if he's not wearing Mr Bloom's wellies and hat, I'm not interested.

 

Thanks Lucy for the fun questions. I'm now supposed to tag 10 bloggers and ask my own 10 questions, but Lucy has already tagged most of the bloggers I would, so I'm going to open this up to my lovely readers. I would love to learn more about you. Please answer the questions above and link to your blog post, or leave your answers in the comments.

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment