Thursday 5 June 2014

GF Recipe: Quick Fennel Flatbreads

 

A week in to my Gluten Free lifestyle, and I don't think I've managed a fully gluten-free day yet. I've not deliberately eaten any gluten, but I keep making little mistakes. It's becoming apparent already that rather than keep the rest of the household eating normally and store my gluten-free food seperately, I will need to make my kitchen gluten-free. Probably with the exception of a few things for the kids, purely because otherwise our food bill will bankrupt us! It's awful that I need to think like this, because of the extortionate cost of gluten-free food, but that's another rant for another day.

I need to make packed lunches for the girls at least two days a week and there's no getting away from the fact that sandwiches are by far the easiest food for this. Shop bought gluten-free bread is expensive and homemade bread is not normally great for kids lunchbox style sandwiches, so my way around this is to buy a sliced loaf, make the whole thing up into sandwiches in one go, and then freeze them. I can clean up thoroughly afterwards and remove all traces of gluten and the ready source of sandwiches saves me from the possibility of another episode like this. I can take them straight out of the freezer in the morning and they are defrosted and ready to eat by lunchtime. (Great tip for those of you that take sandwiches to work and end up eating them by 10 am too!)

I haven't gad a go at gluten free bread, loaf-style yet, but yesterday, while warming some nice homemade veggie soup from the freezer (what a picture of domestic bliss and preparedness I paint. Oh, how I wish it was so all of the time!) I felt like I needed something to dunk in it.

My usual quick google search, followed by a combination of recipes, produced these:

They were really easy to make, and perfect to dunk into houmous, or to eat with the curry we had for tea later. They don't keep very well - they go quite hard and dry, but would probably perk up if sprinkled with water and flashed under the grill, as you would naan breads.

It doesn't matter that they don't keep though, because they took seconds to make. They would be great for the kids to make and are perfect for those 'dammit, ran out of bread' moments.

 

Quick Fennel Flatbreads

 

Ingredients:

200g self raising flour (I used GF, obviously)

150g natural yoghurt

1 tbsp milk or water

Salt and pepper

I added a tablespoon on fennel seeds, but you could omit these, or swap them for anything you like: poppy or sesame seeds, cumin, herbs, a smidge of paprika - whatever you fancy.

 

Method:

Heat your grill to high and dust a baking sheet with flour

Stir the dry ingredients together in a bowl

Add the wet ingredients and stir to form a dough

Divide into four balls. Flatten into round discs and place them on the baking tray, sprinkled with a bit more flour

Grill for 3-5 minutes each side, until golden and puffy

Dunk into soup, or dip of your choice.

Yum!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment